Ginger pudding recipe
Our local version of the crème caramel! Here, ginger is used to flavour the eggy pudding. This is always accompanied with some sweet syrup, with my choice being gula melaka. You can try other flavours like lemongrass, kaffir lime or soya milk.
1 ¾ cup whipping cream
1 cup full cream milk
50g knob ginger, peeled
A pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
2 large egg yolks
6 tablespoons sugar
Gula melaka syrup:
100g gula melaka, chopped into small pieces
3 tablespoons water
1. To make the syrup, heat the gula melaka and water in a saucepan over medium heat, swirling occasionally to mix. Remove from the heat once reduced and thick.
2. Preheat the oven to 170?C.
3. Grate the ginger with a box grater and squeeze the ginger juice out from the grated ginger.
4. Heat the cream, ginger juice, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla in a separate saucepan until slightly simmering and remove from the heat.
5. Whisk the eggs and egg yolks until well combined before adding the hot cream mixture slowly.
6. Divide and pour into the ramekins.
7. Place the ramekins into baking trays large enough to hold water and add boiling water till it comes halfway up the ramekins.
8. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the custard is set (a toothpick inserted should come out clean).
9. Allow to cool and refrigerate.
10. Serve with a drizzle of the gula melaka syrup.
This archived article appeared in an earlier version of HungryGoWhere and may not be up-to-date. To alert us to outdated information, please contact us here.